Thursday, December 8, 2016

Halloween 2016.

I knew the time would come, eventually. I knew the time when Ellisyn wanted to be a princess for Halloween would come, and I thought that I would be okay with it. I love the part of Ellisyn's personality that is obsessed with all things girly, especially princesses, but I didn't love the reasons she loved princesses. Ellisyn would tell me that she liked Cinderella because of her beautiful dress, Belle because of her pretty hair, and (I'm slightly worried to say...) Jasmine because she wears her shirt 'up'. Although these things are all true, I mean the princesses do have very attractive outward appearances, I wanted Ellisyn to know that there is more to being a beautiful female character. I began watching the movies and reading the books with Ellisyn and explaining that they all have positive inward and outward qualities, such as bravery, kindness, and intelligence. So, with the help of Aunt Jessica's awesome hand-me-down airplane, Ellisyn decided to be Amelia Earhart for Halloween this year!

The costume turned out perfect with the help of Amazon, Wal-Mart, and a few borrowed items from cousins and aunts. Ellisyn loved telling anybody and everybody that she was, "Amelia Earhart, the first girl to fly over the ocean!" I loved the costume as well. I loved that it was unique and creative. I also loved that it helped Ellisyn understand that you don't have to have a pretty dress or pretty hair to be influential, although those things are still really fun!

We had such a memorable October. We were able to use our Lagoon season passes one last time at Frightmares, paint pumpkins, attend parties, trick-or-treat, and eat lots of sugar! We are so blessed and even on silly holidays like Halloween remind us of how much we love being with family and friends.















No comments:

Post a Comment