Saturday, January 8, 2011

Game, Set, Perfect Match!



This is the "Why I Said Yes" article I wrote for the Idaho State Journal:

January 1st marks the begininning of a new year. New Year's Day is one of the only holidays celebrated by the entire world. New Years is a new begininng often filled with new school semesters, new jobs, new births, and new diets. But for me, January 1, 2011, wasn't just another new beginning for me. It was the beginning of a completely new life!

Daniel and I met nearly five years ago while attending local high schools. We were definitely high school sweethearts. After graduating, Daniel served a two year mission in Paris, France. I furthered my education at Idaho State University while Daniel was away. Daniel and I wrote weekly, patiently waiting for his arrival home again. I couldn't have been happier when Daniel landed back on American soil on December 16, 2010.

Two weeks and two days after Daniel was welcomed back to the great United States, Daniel and I decided to celebrate New Year's Day by playing some tennis. Daniel has always loved tennis, and has slowly been teaching me the game. We spent the evening practicing my forehand and backhand strokes. After playing for awhile, Daniel and I decided to wrap up the night by hitting the remaining tennis balls back and forth. We hit several balls until I noticed the the hopper was out of balls. I asked, "Are there anymore balls?" Daniel replied, while pulling out a tennis ball from his pocket, "Yep, there's one left." Daniel lightly hit the ball over the net before it landed on the ground with a plop. The ball was obviously flat. Daniel and I walked towards the tennis ball together. Daniel picked up the ball, revealing that something was loose inside. Then Daniel pulled out of the tennis ball a beautiful ring, got on one knee, and proposed, "Will you marry me?!" I was totally surprised, but managed to utter, "YES!"

After dating, waiting, and proposing, Daniel and I will begin our new life together on April 9, 2011 in the Idaho Falls, Idaho temple. I cannot wait to live happily ever after with my prince charming!


No comments:

Post a Comment