Monday, April 16, 2018

Ice, Ice...BABY!

The first trimester. Woof. I can feel that pregnancy sick feeling just writing about it. Normally, the first doctor's appointment is between 8 and 10 weeks, but due to my previous pregnancy loss, I was able to go in for blood tests and an ultra sound at only 5 weeks. We were able to see a teeny, tiny bean shaped baby. It was such a relief to see that everything was actually inside my uterus this time and we could see the littlest flutter of a heart beat.

After my appointment, I was dropping Daniel off at work when we received a frantic phone call from Daniel's family. Daniel's grandpa had fallen in his garage, hit his head, and was in critical condition. We immediately rushed to his house to find that he had quickly and painlessly passed away. It was hard to comprehend that within the hour we had experienced the excitement of new life and the horror of a life lost. Our hearts ached, but we found comfort knowing that Grandpa Tubbs was the first to know our precious news.

By about week 6, the pregnancy symptoms started to hit full force. I'm lucky enough not to get too horribly sick, but it still isn't the most pleasant three months of my life. I would eat because I felt sick, and then immediately feel sick because I ate. It's a vicious cycle that I know so many others experience while expecting. My two main food groups were buttered toast and Jolly Ranchers. Daniel would bring me a bulk bag of Jolly Ranchers from Winco, and those were the only things that held me together while trying to keep our exciting new secret.

Daniel and I could hardly wait to tell the world our news, especially our families. We decided that it would be a unique opportunity to tell Daniel's parents and siblings while they were all here in Idaho for Grandpa Tubb's funeral. Daniel's parents arrived days before the funeral and met us for dinner at Costa Vida. Before leaving dinner, we gave them a wrapped present with the ultrasound inside and explained that we got them a little something to lift their spirits. They were ecstatic to see that we were expecting a healthy baby in early December! It was so fun to see everyone light up and embrace in happy hugs. We told the rest of Daniel's family over the weekend, and everyone was delighted at the idea of a new family member.

My parents were equally as thrilled when we told them. They were at our house around bedtime so we decided to say our night time prayers with my parents. Ellisyn said the prayer with my help. She repeated the usual nightly prayer until she asked, "Please bless the baby in my mom's belly to be healthy and strong". You could feel the whole room light up with excitement! My parents were so pleased to add a sixth grandchild to the ranks.

At this point, my siblings did not know about our growing family. My sister and brother-in-law have been very vocal about the fact that they are done having children, so we thought it would be a fun prank to have my sister wrap my positive pregnancy test and give it to him, as if it were hers, in front of the whole family on his upcoming birthday. When his birthday arrived, he gladly opened all of his presents before my sister left the room and came back with one last present. It was the pregnancy test. He suspiciously opened it and in complete shock and after a few swear words, my sister gave him this card...




He was instantly relieved and my entire family was left feeling full of joy and plenty of laughter!

We waited until I was officially out of the first trimester to announce our new babe to the rest of our friends and extended family. The announcement was based on the one and only Vanilla Ice and his popular "Ice, Ice Baby" song. It was such a fun way to embrace one of my favorite jams and the happiness this pregnancy has brought to all of us! The miracle of pregnancy is such a precious experience. I feel so honored and blessed to experience something so wonderful, and I'm grateful to be able to share it with the ones I love most!







No comments:

Post a Comment